Sunday, August 19, 2007

The first decision before starting to cook

Let's set the ground rules. You've picked out the recipe, and bought the ingredients. Now it's time to start the actual cooking. What's the first important decision you have? I'll make it easier by giving you three guesses.
  1. What is the order you'll prepare the ingredients?
  2. How are you going to manage your kitchen space, utensils and pots/pans?
  3. What wine are you going to drink while cooking?
I almost always cook to a red wine. And since I'm not really pairing it with food, I go for a bold, fruity wine that keeps my interest on each sip. For me that means Shiraz or Zinfandel. I'd go

Last night as I cooked my all in spaghetti with smoked sausage, peas and egg, I chose a high end wine. The Orin Swift 2005 Prisoner, which is an unusual blend of Zin, Cab, Syrah, Petite Sirah and Charbono. It was quite nice but didn't live up to it's Wine Spectator 93 point expectations.
See my wine blog for lots more on wine.

No comments: